White mold is a species of mold that often grows in homes on walls or drywall. This white, powdery fungus is often difficult to detect as it may blend in with the material it is growing on. It appears white because its spores are not pigmented. As it reproduces, its spores may become pigmented, meaning that it becomes a black mold, or it may remain white regardless of its age.
White mold is no different than black mold; in fact, black mold may appear white in the early developmental stages or remain white regardless of its age.Both species of mold are problematic as they may lead to health problems and property damages. As with any mold, white mold must be removed to prevent issues to your health and property.
What Causes Mold growth?
Similar to black mold, white mold thrives in moist areas. Mold grows naturally outside, but it can also grow almost anywhere indoors if moisture is present. In fact, there is likely mold present in your home that you aren’t even aware of. White mold feeds on wood and drywall because these surfaces contain cellulose, which is an organic food source for mold. If your property has experienced water damage or has poor ventilation, mold may grow because of the moist condition of the wood and drywall.
For five places mold infestation may grow, check out our blog post.
How Do I Know if I Have White Mold?
As mentioned, white mold is sometimes difficult to detect as it could blend in with the texture of a surface it is growing on. It can also be confused with other white substances such as mildew or efflorescence. Mildew is a type of fungus that only grows on living plants and is considered a parasite because it feeds on a living organism. Unless you have an abundance of house plants, or you live in a greenhouse, you most likely don’t have a mildew issue since mildew needs a living host to feed off of.
Efflorescence is a powdery deposit of salt that is visible on surfaces. If the substance appears on stone, concrete, or natural stone, it is efflorescence. You can also check by putting some of it into a drop of water to see if it dissolves. If it dissolves, it’s not mold.
What Makes White Mold Dangerous?
White mold, regardless of its severity, is hazardous and exposure can lead to many health problems such as allergic reactions, eye irritation, dizziness, nausea, headaches, respiratory issues, skin irritation, and headaches.
If white mold is present in your home, it can eat away at the material on your walls and drywall making your property structure unstable. It is very important that you act quickly with mold growth.
Treat White Mold with Mold Medics
Even though there are techniques to remove mold on your own, it is best to have a professional mold removal company come in and prevent health and property issues.
If you have mold or are unsure if you have mold in your home, Mold Medics can send a skilled mold expert to perform a thorough mold inspection. Through an inspection, we will be able to identify precise mold varieties and levels that may be affecting the quality of your air.
Simply submit a question or message on our website describing the problem you are facing, and the team will reach out to schedule a free appointment. From there, we will put together a custom mold removal plan to resolve the issue you are facing.