Many people believe that once mold is dead, it is no longer dangerous—this is not the case! Whether mold is dead or alive, it can still be dangerous to your health.
When mold dries out and becomes temporarily inactive, it is considered “dead” mold. This happens when mold is killed, perhaps with bleach, but not removed. Dead mold appears flaky and powdery, unlike living mold that appears moist and grows in various colors, such as white, black, or yellow. Most of the time, it is difficult to smell mold toxins, especially once the mold is dead.
Both dead and living molds produce allergens, irritants, and potentially toxic substances that can impact your health and cause allergic reactions when inhaled or touched. Let professionals, like us, handle the removal of dead mold in your home to prevent problems and adverse health effects.
There are a wide range of health effects individuals could face when exposed to dead mold. Those who are allergic to mold or have asthma are the ones that are most sensitive to mold. However, repeated exposure can make non-sensitive individuals sensitive to mold.
When exposed to mold, individuals may experience an allergic reaction or fever-like symptoms such as headaches, sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rashes. Dead mold may trigger asthmas attacks to those with asthma, and infections to those with a weakened or suppressed immune system.
How to Prevent Mold Growth
To prevent mold in your home, you can take simple precautions that can make a big difference. Monitor common places in your home where mold growth is plausible, such as your basement and attic. To prevent mold growth:
- Control humidity levels with an air conditioner or dehumidifier during humid months
- Fix any water leaks promptly
- Clean and dry water damage after flooding
- Clean and disinfect your home
- Ventilate showers, laundry, and cooking areas
- Avoid using carpet in areas where there is a lot of moisture
How Mold Medics Can Help You
We are trusted indoor allergen and mold remediation experts that can help you remove both dead and alive mold. We offer mold removal, mold testing, air duct cleaning, and home and office disinfection services. If you have any questions about mold or if you are unsure if your property has mold, we are here to help. Contact us to have your questions answered or to schedule a property assessment. We offer virtual assessments to assess your home via real-time video — we want to make sure our customers feel comfortable and safe. One of our experts will assess your home and provide a free quote for services to resolve your problem. Learn more about our process on our blog post.
Remember, it is important to have an expert remove mold, instead of using bleach or hydrogen peroxide, to avoid dead mold and its adverse health effects. Contact us today by filling out our online form or calling us at 412.540.4345
2 thoughts on “Why is Dead Mold Still Dangerous to Your Health?”
Most homeowners do not clean their air ducts for years, leading to a massive mold buildup in their air ducts. This buildup can be very harmful for the and will contaminate the air.
Hi I actually saw one of your vans in Rochester, PA today while dropping off my grandson ….I work at the Rochester Area Joint Sewer Authority on Adams St in Rochester and the building my self and my co worker is in is extremely moldy to the point where it is making us both really sick. Is there anyway for you to come there and test the building .
Comments are closed.